Looking Back at 2017
2017 was an unforgettable year. This article is a compilation of the major events of 2017.
In 2017, America - and the rest of the world - witnessed:
- ‘The Great American Eclipse’
- Several hurricanes
- North Korean nuclear threats
- Las Vegas massacre
- Fidget spinners
- Donald J. Trump
INNOVATIONS IN THE TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRY - 2017
2017 was filled with tech innovations. Numerous products - from next-gen smartphones to smart cars - were developed and launched. Arguably, these 2 innovations, released in 2017, had the most profound impact in the tech space:
- iPhone X by Apple Inc
The iPhone X is undoubtedly Apple’s most groundbreaking innovation. This sleek, sexy, and sophisticated smartphone is powered on cutting-edge technology. Encompassing new features that allow tasks to be done more simply and efficiently, iPhone X is much more powerful and intelligent than its predecessors. It is the priciest smartphone ever on market, with starting costs of $999. The iPhone X is not only a smartphone, but also a piece of art. The public continues to approve Apple products; worldwide, 1+ million iPhones are sold each day. This iPhone was a huge commercial success, despite its high price.
Some features of iPhone X:
- face recognition features
- iOS 11
- powered on A11 bionic chip
- wireless charging
- 4K-capable camera
- entirely screen
- super retina high-definition screen display
- water and dust resistant
Nintendo was on the decline over the past few years. Once popular Nintendo products like Wii and Nintendo DS were overshadowed by new players in the gaming industry - namely Microsoft and Sony. Running out of market share, Nintendo stopped selling altogether. Eventually, Nintendo made a dramatic comeback by developing and launching the Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch is a cleverly designed “hybrid” product. Nintendo developers designed this product such that it could easily be transformed from a home console to a portable gaming device - unlike its competition. As a home console, the LCD main unit is inserted into a docking station and connected to the TV. Games can be played with standard wireless controllers. Or alternatively, the main unit can be disconnected from the docking station and connected with the 2 wireless controllers on either side - and it instantly serves as a gaming tablet. Nintendo reasoned that gamers could effectively spend more time playing with the Nintendo Switch. To date, the Nintendo has sold 10+ million of this latest gaming console.
2017 was not only a year with groundbreaking technological advancements and futuristic innovations, but also a year with momentous events. Let’s just step outside the tech realm for a moment.
In 2017, more people had access to the Internet than ever before:
- 3.8+ billion people - or 51.7% of the world - use the Internet (first time crossing halfway mark)
- 2.1+ trillion Google search queries (highest ever in one year)
In 2017, people across the world voted for change:
- Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th U.S. President
- 40-year old Emmanuel Macron is elected as French president
- Catalonia votes for separation from Spain in controversial referendum, but efforts are in vain
- The Bharatiya Janata Party - India’s current ruling party - sweeps state legislative assembly elections again under Prime Minister Modi
- Angela Merkel secures another term as Chancellor of Germany after winning federal elections
In 2017, sports teams and athletes imprinted their names in history books:
- Golden State Warriors win their 5th Championship title, beating the Cleveland Cavaliers
- Houston Astros beat Los Angeles Dodgers to clinch first-ever World Series title
- New England Patriots complete historic comeback to win Super Bowl LI vs. Atlanta Falcons
- Real Madrid C.F. wins FIFA Champions League and La Liga title
- Floyd Mayweather defeats Conor McGregor in a highly anticipated boxing showdown, retaining a perfect record
- Cristiano Ronaldo is named FIFA Best Men’s Player and also wins the famed Ballon d’Or
- Roger Federer triumphs in yet another Wimbledon Grand slam tournament topping off a historic comeback at age 36, beating Marin Cilic
- The Indian cricket team continues its formidable test match win streak, standing undefeated in 2017
In 2017, many songs made their debut on Youtube, and were instant hits:
- ‘Despacito’ by Luis Fonsi (4.6+ billion views)
- ‘Shape of You’ by Ed Sheeran (2.9+ billion views)
- ‘Wild Thoughts’ by DJ Khaled (576+ million views)
- ‘HUMBLE’ by Kendrick Lamar (411+ million views)
- ‘Gucci Gang’ by Lil Pump (377+ million views)
In 2017, several highly anticipated films were released, and were successful in the box office:
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi” ($1+ billion)
- ‘Despicable Me 3’ ($1+ billion)
- ‘Spider Man: Homecoming’ ($880+ million)
- ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ ($847+ million)
- ‘Wonder Woman’ ($821+ million)
- ‘IT’ ($698+ million)
- ‘Justice League’ ($648+ million)
- ‘Cars 3’ ($383+ million)
OTHER INTERESTING 2017 FACTS:
- In 2017, Jeff Bezos (CEO of Amazon) passed Bill Gates to become the world’s wealthiest man. He has about $100 billion.
- In 2017, the ‘Cassini’ spacecraft, which had been orbiting Saturn for decades, was discharged in space.
- In 2017, Prince Harry and Actress Meghan Markle got engaged. For the first time in history, a royal is going to marry a non-royal.
- In 2017, The Walt Disney Company announced it will buy out 21st Century Fox film studios for over $66 billion.
And Hello, 2018.
For more information about what was trending in 2017, visit the following webpage: https://trends.google.com/trends/yis/2017/GLOBAL/